Tuesday, May 22, 2012

All You Need to Know About Gelato

How to tell real gelato from fake:

Someone said about 80% of gelato in Rome is fake.  How you can tell is by looking at the colours.  If the pistachio is bright green, it's fake.  Or if the banana is yellow, it's fake.

Another way is if you see the gelato piled way up to the top it's a fake because the real ones are actually made in the container, not scooped out of a bucket.

But we've found some really good ones!  These are my top three places:
Perche-No! in Florence dates back to 1939.

Grom in Sienna.  This would be the best gelato I've ever had.

Maleti Gelateria in Verona was thick and creamy.

But you'll have to go to Italy to try for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. I know you are being homeschooled - and hey, if this is your assignment there are millions of kids totally envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chloe - I am heading to a few places in Tuscany next week and am going to check out your ice-cream recommendations while I am in Florence and Siena. Thanks for the tips - I can't wait to try them! - Julia (who you met at Mont St. Michel)

    ReplyDelete